Evidence of Program Effectiveness
The PATHS® curriculum is one of the few Social Emotional Learning (SEL) programs that has been well-researched using strong experimental designs. As a result, the PATHS® curriculum has received high recognition and recommendations from a number of different sources (PATHS® recognitions).
A series of randomized controlled trials with intervention vs. control groups (using one year of PATHS® curriculum implementation with pre, post, and follow-up data) have been conducted over the past two decades. These have included three different populations including deaf/hearing impaired, regular education, and special education-classified children (Greenberg & Kusché, 1993, 1998; 2004; Greenberg, Kusché, Cook, & Quamma, 1995; Kam, Greenberg, & Kusché, 2004; Riggs, Greenberg, Kusché and Pentz, 2006). Findings indicated that the PATHS® curriculum was successful in both significantly increasing protective factors for healthy development and in reducing behavioral and emotional problems.
Increasing Protective Factors
• In clinical trials, compared to a randomized control group, children who received one school year of the PATHS® curriculum showed significant improvements such as:
- Students’ ability to recognize and understand emotions
- Students’ social problem-solving skills
- Teacher-rated prosocial behavior in the following domains: Self-control, emotional understanding, and ability to tolerate frustration.
- Planning skills when solving complex tasks
- Working memory
- Decreased impulsivity
- Reading achievement in deaf students.
Reducing Maladaptive Outcomes
In clinical trials, compared to a randomized control group, children who received one school year of the PATHS® curriculum showed significant reductions in:
- Teacher-rated aggressive and disruptive behaviors at post-test and one-year follow-up
- Student reported depression (among students who showed elevated levels at pre-test)
- Teachers-rated internalizing symptoms (sadness, anxiety, and withdrawal)
PATHS® Curriculum Outcomes
Grade 2 and 3 Intervention (After 1 Year of Intervention)
Special Needs Students
PATHS® and the PATHS® Training LLC logo are trademarks and service marks of Channing Bete Company, Inc